Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Before and After: Dresser!

We had been looking for new bedroom furniture and a friend called to tell me about a dresser at Goodwill (yes that is a good friend to share, not take it for herself!). It needed some love, but was well built. It was solid wood, the drawers slid well, had dovedailed drawers and dust covers between drawers! And all of this for $29.99 (plus 10% off of course!).

Here is the before:

The top needed some work. But since I was planning on painting it, not stripping and staining, it wasn't a problem for me. In fact, the more banged up the piece is, the more character it has.


So I went to town with soap and water (obviously!), and fixed a few spots with wood filler. I took all of the hardware off, which I ended up using. Once the hardware was off and the drawers removed, I primed with Kilz. I use spray paint usually when refinishing. It's so easy, and I don't love brush strokes showing. My preferred brand of spray paint is Krylon; it has the best nozzle. I decided to paint with Ivory gloss. Once it was dry, I glazed with a black glaze to give it that old feeling. This dresser didn't have a lot of detail to pop, but the glaze was still a nice detail. I used a oil rubbed bronze spray paint on the hardware, which turned out awesome!

So here is the after:
Please excuse the crooked middle knobs. Carter thinks it's fun to turn them...






So there it is, and I love it. I'm linking up with some other amazing transformations throughout the week (although some don't start until Friday), so go check them out!






The DIY Show Off

Furniture Feature Fridays

Chic on a Shoestring Decorating

Transformation Thursday


13 comments:

  1. WOW! what a fantastic job. They look absolutely amazing. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! NICE WORK! I love that dresser!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I turned out beautifully. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous! it is so fresh and sleek now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dresser looks great...I re-did my daughters dresser white like that and when I saw how gorgeous your's looks it reminded me her's needs done again (uugghhh teenagers)!!!

    I'm a new follower from "Frugal Friday" stop on over and visit me and My Crazy Beautiful Life!!1

    Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My parents had a set back in the sixties that looked like your before picture. Love what you did with it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhh! Gotta love a good facelift! It looks wonderful. I don't have a crafty bone in my body, and I soooo wish I did. I LOVE the composition of the 5th shot - perfection!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hiya great transformation there , and what a great price too , tfs , i am visiting form fingerprints on the fridge and am your new follower hope you can pop by mine and follow me too
    xmaggiex

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay.. that is the cutest dresser! I hope my next thrift shopping is as fruitful. What a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love how this dresser turned out. You did a great transformation. Love the white! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow!! wow!! wow!! You've done a fantastic job.. wow!! The new cabinet is simply gorgeous.. love the choice of handles.. :-)

    Hope you have a fab week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks so much better... Nice job! Thanks for linking up to Flaunt it Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete