It seemed like a super sturdy piece. It was solid wood, very heavy and had dovetailed drawers and dust covers in between the drawers. The drawers slid well except for one (turns out that missing pull was the culprit of the poor function!). I was already planning on buying this little gem, especially since it was only $14.99! But then I discovered its brand: Drexel! Holy jackpot! I grabbed that tag and ran to the register with my new treasure. We had it for about a month before I found it's match. The second nightstand isn't as good of quality, but it's a similar size and coordinates well.
So here are the afters. I like the look of a painted base and stained top, but I achieved a similar look without stripping or staining! I primed as always with my beloved Kilz. The base of the night stands was painted with Krylon Brushed Metallics in caramel latte while the top is Rustoleum's Hammered paint in a rubbed bronze finish. I kept the original hardware on both, painting over the shiny brass with an oil rubbed bronze. And I lightly glazed each piece to make it have that antique look.
Here is the Drexel:
And it's mate...